The Institution of Lighting Professionals has arranged a series of events supporting people in the early part of their lighting career. Successful senior lighting designers have agreed to share their time and expertise with students, juniors and new entrants to the profession, to demonstrate things that aren’t always taught on traditional courses and will inspire, support and encourage the next generation.
How To Be Brilliant 2019, sponsored by Zumtobel, is a set of free to attend, fun, friendly evening sessions held in London and Edinburgh. They are open to all, with an emphasis on allowing less experienced students and staff to meet renowned industry experts face to face in a confidence-building atmosphere of encouragement and inclusion. All the sessions include Continuous Professional Development time.
London sessions are as follows:
- Linda Salamoun, Senior Lighting Designer at Steensen Varming will be speaking on 24 April
- John Bullock, lighting designer and industry champion from the Light Review, will talk about light and life in relation to Brexit on 22 May
- Arfon Davies, Director, and Nicola Rigoni, Lighting Designer, with Arup will present together at a special daylight, experience and wellbeing session on 19 September, taking place within Darc Room, part of London Design Week
- Neil Knowles, Director and founder of Elektra Lighting Design, will cover circadian lighting on 23 October
- Colin Ball and Lora Kaleva, Senior Lighting Designers at BDP, will close the series on 20 November, with ‘The Colour Blue’
There are more Edinburgh sessions in development, with a similarly eclectic mix of people and topics. These will be announced soon.
24 April, LONDON - REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
LINDA SALAMOUN, STEENSEN VARMING
How do we tell the Story of Light through different design phases?
From concept to technical, Linda explains how we communicate the ideas to the client, taking a closer look into how much information we can provide when and what the best approaches are, with so many tools available to use for visualisation.
Linda is a Senior Lighting Designer with 11 years’ experience in the industry and an international portfolio of internal and external lighting design across a wide range of sectors.
22 may, LONDON - REGISTRATION to open soon!
John Bullock, the Light Review
Life is what happens…
'How to be Brilliant' means, first and foremost, 'How to Survive' - so it will be a session of hints and tips, recipes, anecdotes, tears and laughter.
John Bullock is a lighting designer. He has been an independent consultant since 1984 and has managed studios in London and now runs his practice from a small room in Dorset. John also provides a running commentary on the state of the lighting industry. For three years (2016-2018) he was Applications Editor at Lux Review. He is now publisher - editor - floor sweeper of The Light Review (an on-line, multi-layered, marketing platform for the UK lighting industry) or maybe it's just a magazine.